Saturday, July 14, 2012

Project - Bulletin Board






I just finished my second project for my room and I love it! I made these bulletin boards out of old window frames and they will go behind my desk. With the help of my super, duper handy husband, they turned out fabulous! The old window frames have been sitting in my attic for years and I am so happy to have finally found a project for them.

So here's how I did it...

First I painted the window frames. Then super, duper handy husband cut out boards to fit each pane. This was a "pain," as each opening was slightly different. I went to Jo-ann's and bought cork board for 6 of the panels. I used a cement adhesive to attach the cork to the wood and then I covered the boards with a layer of batting and fabric. (I had the fabric left over from two other projects I've been working on and I will post those later.) The bottom, outside panes are strips of folded fabric, duct taped at the bottom of each color. Then you layer the next strip on top to cover the duct tape and repeat until the board is covered. They make pockets.

My favorite is the sayings I had put in the top. Again, super, duper handy husband (who is a graphic designer) designed them for me and then we had them photo printed at Costco. We cut them down to fit this particular frame. I went to Tap Plastic, and had plexiglass cut for the top panes. Again, each pane was a slightly different size, so I took the window frame and they had to measure each opening separately so the plexiglass would fit. We numbered each pane so we could get them all back in the right opening.

The last step was getting them all safely secured inside the frame. Beware of using old windows, because the wood is old and it was difficult to nail in the backs. But it worked out okay and they are very secure with extra wood pieces in the corners to keep the boards in.

I can't wait to get them hung in my room.

Here's the sayings...

No comments:

Post a Comment